Tomato and Mushroom Orzo
Enjoy meatless Monday Italian-style with this Tomato and Mushroom Orzo recipe! This vegetarian delight is bursting with sweet earthy flavours of tomato and basil sauce and saltiness of Parmesan. So delicious!
1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 lb wild mushrooms, (cremini, shiitake, oyster, chanterelle, morels), cleaned and chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 jar (530ml) Authentica Siciliana Sauce
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper
Garnishes: chopped Italian parsley
- Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and stir to prevent clumping.
- Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onion, and red pepper. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until their liquid is released and starts to evaporate. Add the white wine and Siciliana Sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, stir in the orzo, cover with lid, and cook until orzo is warm. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and season to taste. Transfer to warm serving bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve with baguettes.