- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 (16 oz) tubes prepared polenta, cut into ½ inch coins
- 200g pancetta or bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 medium shallots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp cracked pepper
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 jar (530ml) Authentica Arrabiata Sauce
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Aged cheddar, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- To make the bacon and tomato jam, add the pancetta or bacon to a small pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Add 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and stir, making sure to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the shallots, garlic, chili flakes and cracked black pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until shallots are translucent.
- Add in the Authentica sauce, maple syrup, remaining balsamic vinegar, 2 thyme sprigs and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and gently simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until a thick jam consistency is formed. Season with salt and stir occasionally. Remove the sprigs of thyme.
- Brush the polenta coins lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook for 6-7 minutes per side until grill marks are visible. Do not move around while cooking.
- Remove from the grill and top each piece of polenta with the bacon and tomato jam and top with a thin slice of cheddar. Garnish with fresh thyme.