There are many food holidays, but there’s only one that matters. Celebrate a guilt-free Lasagna Day with our low-carb vegetarian take on the Italian classic: Italian Zucchini Lasagna Recipe.
- 2 large zucchini, trimmed and sliced lengthwise into ¼ cm strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 large egg
- ½ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 cups Authentica Siciliana Pasta Sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Lay zucchini in a single layer, sprinkle with salt and let stand 15 minutes. This will draw the moisture from the zucchini to prevent it from getting soggy when cooking.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, egg, basil and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread 1 cup tomato sauce onto the bottom of a large cast iron pan
- To make your roll ups, Spread approx. 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture along each zucchini slice. Roll up and place in your baking dish facing up (if you’re having troubles keeping the roll ups closed, lay them on their side with the end of the roll up facing down)
- Pour the remaining sauce over top of the roll ups and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until heated through. Turn the oven to broil and cook an additional 3-4 minutes to get the cheese bubbly and golden brown.
Swap zucchini for eggplant for a different twist!