Baked Eggplant Parmigiana
Try our Baked Eggplant Parmigiana recipe instead of lasagna. Skip the unnecessary carbs and enjoy all the cheesy goodness and rich tomato basil sauce. It’s so good!
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggplants, about one lb (454g) each, cleaned and cut into ½ -inch (1.25cm) slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 530ml (530ml) Authentica Siciliana Sauce
- 1 lb (454g) fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- ½ cup (125ml) grated parmesan
- 1 lb (454g) provolone cheese, grated
- 1 handful basil leaves, finely julienned
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) finely chopped oregano leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Grease two foil-lined baking sheets with 2 tablespoons (30ml) each of the olive oil. Season each eggplant slice with salt and pepper and place on the baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the tops are golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer the eggplant slices on a large platter to cool.
- Reduce oven to 350°F. Spread ¼ cup (60ml) of the Siciliana Sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12-inch baking dish. Top with a layer of the baked eggplant slices.
- Top with about 1/3 of the mozzarella slices. Mix together the parmesan and provolone cheeses together in a bowl and sprinkle about ¼ over the eggplant.
- Sprinkle some of the basil and oregano over the cheese layer. Spoon sauce and repeat 2 more times to make 3 layers. End with the remaining cheeses.
- Gently press down the layers in the baking dish and sprinkle the top with the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the upper part of the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.